Emergency Notification #9

The Community Support Center located at 56 High Street and open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. has the following items available for people to use in their clean up efforts:

Contractor bags, tarps, box fans, tools, cleaning products, work gloves and sump pumps

Stop by for what you need.

A heads up to everyone that “Team Rubicon” [a veteran-led humanitarian organization, built to serve global communities before, during, and after disasters and crises] will be in Town over the next couple of days to do clean up assessments. They typically wear shirts that say TEAM RUBICON on them.

Town of Hardwick Request for Proposal (RFP) – Engineering Services

The Town is seeking proposals from qualified engineering firms for the design, engineering, and construction administration of a new bridge/culvert structure on Hardwick Farms Road spanning Porter Brook. The project aims to replace and upsize the existing crossing damaged in the July 2023 & July 2024 Floods. To see the full request please visit www.hardwickvt.gov

Emailed proposals may be sent to: david.upson@hardwickvt.gov Proposals may also be mailed to: Hardwick Town Manager David Upson, Town of Hardwick, PO Box 523, Hardwick, VT 05843.

Proposals are due by Monday July 29, 2024 at 1:00 pm. Any proposals received after that date may be rejected at the sole discretion of the Town of Hardwick.

Click here for complete RFP. For additional information, contact the Town Manager’s Office at 472-6120.

Emergency Notification #6

The Town of Hardwick would like to provide a quick update on the food recovery efforts. As of this afternoon, Tops Grocery Store is open, House of Pizza will be opening Monday July 15, and Walgreens is projected to be opening soon!

It’s very important to report any and all damage; even if you think it’s minor. Please call 211 to report the damage and photo document the damages. Reporting damage will help individuals receive state and federal aid. 

If you need any assistance please contact the Hardwick Neighbor to Neighbor organization. They will be at the Senior Center located at 56 High Street from 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM. Their phone number is 802-441-3301 and their email is hardwickneighbors@gmail.com. You can also contact the Town Manager’s office at 802-472-6120.

Recreational Water Safety

The Vermont Department of Health wanted to share the following message:

“Given the upcoming hot weather, the Health Department advises to stay out of rivers and streams until the water is clear and calm and to use extra caution when swimming in lakes and ponds that have been affected by flooding.

Heavy rainfalls can create potentially dangerous conditions in swim holes, streams, rivers, and waterfalls. These conditions of high water or strong undercurrents can linger several days after a storm, so be sure to assess the water depth and flow before swimming or boating.

Generally, you should stay out of any body of water for at least 48 hours following a significant rain event. If there is major flooding, it will take extra time for waterbodies to recover. This is because flooding can cause combined sewer overflows (raw sewage dumped into waterbodies) as well as extra debris and fuel and other chemicals to flow into waterbodies.

Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams are always susceptible to disease-causing microorganisms and chemicals from stormwater runoff and are especially susceptible after the widespread rainfall and flooding. Swimming in these waters may result in health effects such as minor skin rashes, sore throats, diarrhea or more serious problems.

Additionally, after major flooding, extra nutrients from the floodwater may cause cyanobacteria blooms a few weeks after. Be sure to watch for cyanobacteria.

Learn more about recreational water safety after a flood. Translated versions of this handout are available at HealthVermont.gov/Flood. “

Emergency Notification #5

The Town of Hardwick has been informed that the bridge on VT Route 16 between Belfry Road and the LVRT is STILL CLOSED. They are assessing the bridge, and determining how much damage this storm has caused and if it’s been undermined. Please stop driving over it, and please do not move the barriers or the road closure signs.
It’s very important to report any and all damage; even if you think it’s minor. Please call 211 to report the damage and photo document the damages. Reporting damage will help individuals receive state and federal aid. 
If you need any assistance please contact the Hardwick Neighbor to Neighbor organization. They will be at the Senior Center located at 56 High Street from 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM. Their phone number is 802-441-3301 and their email is 

 hardwickneighbors@gmail.com. You can also contact the Town Manager’s office at 802-472-6120.

The Town Road Crew, along with other contractors have been able to open most of the roads. Carey Road and Riverside Farms are still closed.

Emergency Notification #4

The Town Manager’s office has been notified about closures or damages to the following roads: 

  • Carey Road- Closed
  • Nichols Pond Road
  • Kate Brook Road
  • Weeks Place
  • Bunker Hill Road
  • Tucker Brook Road
  • Riverside Farm- Closed
  • Hardwick Farms- Closed
  • Center Road- Passable- One lane- Use Caution
  • Granite Street
  • Belfry Road
  • Wolcott Street- Passable, just muddy- Use Caution

The Town is still assessing damages and this list may continue to grow. Our road crew, with help from other businesses, are working to make as many roads passable as they can.  We ask that you avoid these areas. We will get more information Friday and will update everyone Friday afternoon.  

For updates on State Highways please call 511.

Emergency Notification #3

As the flood water recedes, and damage is being assessed, It’s very important to report any and all damage; even if you think it’s minor. Please call 211 to report the damage and photo document the damages. Reporting damage will help individuals receive state and federal aid. 

The Emergency Shelter is still open; located at Hazen Union High School- 126 Hazen Drive. 

The water system has not been compromised and as of now there is no reason to place a boil water notice. If this changes we will send out an immediate notification. However, if you are experiencing low pressure or do not have water please call 802-472-6120.

Tops and House of Pizza are currently closed. They are working on cleaning up and will open up as soon as possible. Walgreens (including the Pharmacy) is closed at this time with no timeframe given to reopen. 

Emergency Notification #2

The Emergency Operation Center is now open. If you have individual needs, please call 802-472-6120. We will assist you with your requests. The emergency shelter will remain open throughout the day; located at Hazen Union High School 126 Hazen Drive.

The road crew is out assessing roads.

Neighbor to Neighbor Update at 4:00 pm on 7/11/24

The Hardwick Emergency Supply and Support Center will be open for the next week from 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM and is located in the Hardwick Senior Center at 56 High St, Hardwick, adjacent to the police station. We currently have a limited inventory:

PPE Coveralls & Masks
Hand sanitizer
Shop vacs
Cleaning Supplies

DONATIONS NEEDED: dehumidifiers, fans, shop vacs, and sump pumps. If you have some to give or share, please drop them off at the Senior Center during open hours. Alternatively, you can call 802-441-3301 or email hardwickneighbors@gmail.com, and we can arrange a pick-up or drop-off. We are working with the Red Cross to better stock our inventory over the next few days.

If you have equipment on loan from the Supply Center related to last year’s flooding and you need to keep it, please do so, but let us know you have it. If you do not need it this time, please return it to the center so those in need can use it.

If you need help, please do not hesitate to contact Hardwick Area Neighbor to Neighbor. We will make every effort to help you through the next steps and secure the help you need, such as housing, transportation, or emotional support.

**It is very important to report any degree of storm-related damage by calling 211**

Emergency Notification #1

The Lamoille River near Cooper Brook has risen beyond its banks. The low lying areas of Wolcott Street and the adjacent side streets have all experienced flooding; along with VT Route 15W and VT Route 14S. We are working on getting the Emergency Shelter open and taking inventory of damaged roads, bridges, and washed out culverts. Local Officials are monitoring river levels and expect the river to crest and start to recede by mid-morning. We will keep you informed as information becomes available regarding available resources for those affected.

Invitation to Bid: Hardwick Pedestrian Bridge Construction **REBID NOTICE*

The Town of Hardwick seeks sealed BIDS for the construction of the Hardwick   Pedestrian Bridge Project including the removal of existing retaining walls, removal of existing bridge abutments, shoring of existing retaining wall to remain, installation of new retaining walls segment, installation of new bridge abutments, installation of new pedestrian bridge, reconnecting utilities, minor grading within river corridor to expand floodway volume capacity, installation of riprap, slope stabilization measures and planting, and paving and landscape improvements to pedestrian bridge access.

Pre-bid meeting is required for those who didn’t attend the May 31 meeting and will be held on Wednesday, July 10 at 1:00 p.m. Questions from prospective bidders due on Monday, July 15. Responses to questions will be provided by COB on Wednesday, July 17.

Bids will be accepted at the Hardwick Town Manager’s Office, 20 Church Street, Hardwick, VT 05843 until 12:00 p.m. on July 22, 2024, and then publicly opened and read aloud at said office.

Due to the file size, the drawings, specifications, and contract documents may be examined at the following location: Hardwick Town Manager’s Office 20 Church Street, Hardwick, VT 05843. You may also request the documents be mailed to you.

Request for Proposal (RFP) for NRCS Emergency Watershed Protection Program: Third-Party Engineering Services for the Town of Hardwick

The Town of Hardwick, VT, in collaboration with the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), is seeking proposals from qualified engineering firms to provide third-party engineering services for one project on privately owned property under the Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) program. The property is located at 30 River Street in East Hardwick, VT. The selected firm will assist in the assessment, design, and implementation of erosion control and flood mitigation measures in three designated watershed areas affected by the July 2023 flooding.

Click here for the complete RFP.