Marriage Licenses


Can I get a license through the mail?

No. A marriage license cannot be issued through the mail, and you cannot be married by a proxy. You can download a copy of the marriage license application and have it ready for the town clerk before you arrive at their office.

Where do we get the marriage license?

Marriage license applications are issued by Vermont town clerks. If both parties are Vermont residents, you may go to any town clerk in Vermont. If you are getting the license in Hardwick you can come into the Clerk’s office anytime between the hours of 7:30am and 4:30pm, Monday-Thursday and Friday 7:30am – 11:30am. Please allow for up to 24 business hours for the license to be typed. To print marriage license application to fill out prior to bringing to Town Clerk click here. Please be sure to fill out application completely.

What do we do with the license? What happens to it after the ceremony?

By law, you must deliver the license to the person who will conduct your wedding ceremony before the marriage can be performed. After the ceremony, the person who performs the ceremony (officiant) will complete the sections concerning the date, place and officiant information, and sign your license. At that point, the license becomes a marriage certificate. The officiant must return the certificate to the town clerk’s office where it was issued within 10 days after the wedding, so that your marriage can be officially registered. If the officiant has registered with the Secretary of State as a temporary officiant, a copy of the certificate of authority is issued by the Secretary of State should be attached to the signed license and returned to the clerk’s office. The certificate is not a complete legal document until it has been recorded in the town clerk’s office where it was purchased. Any license that is back-dated to a date earlier than the date it was purchased voids the license. It is not recognized by State or Federal Government.

What if we are not Vermont residents?

If neither party is a Vermont resident, you may get the marriage license application from any town clerk in the state of Vermont.

How much does the license cost?

The marriage license costs $80.00, and is valid for 60 from the date it is issued. During that time period, an authorized person must perform your wedding ceremony—otherwise, the license is void.

How do I get a copy of my Marriage Certificate?

You may come into the Clerk’s Office Monday-Thursday between 7:30am-4:30pm and Friday 7:30am – 11:30amto request a marriage certificate. or call 802-472-5971.

You can mail in the request form and simply follow the directions at the top of the page. A certified copy (raised seal) of a marriage certificate is $10.00 per certified copy and $2.00 for a photocopy (no raised seal). Checks can be made payable to the Town of Hardwick. Once we receive the request it will be processed and mailed to you within 2-4 business days. Click here to download Request Form.

Who can perform my Marriage Ceremony?

Your marriage can be performed by: a Supreme Court justice, a superior court judge, a district judge, justice of the peace, or an ordained or licensed member of the clergy residing in Vermont. If the officiate does not reside in Vermont, or is not recognized by the State of Vermont, they must file for a permit from a Probate Court in the county where the marriage will take place. In addition, any person over the age of 18 may register with the Secretary of State to become a temporary officiant to a marriage. For information to be a temporary officiant, please visit the Secretary of States website at or call (802) 828-2148. Justice of the Peace List