Notice is hereby given to the residents of the Town of Hardwick, Vermont that the Hardwick Select Board will hold a Public Hearing in the Hardwick Memorial Building, 20 Church Street, on Thursday, November 18, 2021, at 5:30 p.m. Hearing is in person, but a Zoom attendance option is available below. This hearing will be held for public review of and comment on the proposed changes to the Hardwick Town Charter pursuant to 17 V.S.A. § 2645. This is the second of two public hearings held about the proposed Charter changes.
The purpose of the proposed changes to the Hardwick Town Charter is to eliminate unnecessary positions and to allow for appointments rather than elections to positions that are high level and technical in nature and should be hired for. The proposed updates to the Hardwick Town Charter, if adopted, will affect some elected offices and appointed positions, and will help the Town be compliant with State Statutes.
Hardwick Town Charter – Summary of Most Significant Proposed Changes
- Terms identifying “Selectmen” throughout the document to be changed to Selectboard
- Remove the positions of Listers, Fence Viewers, Trustees of Public Funds, and Auditors (we have outside auditors already)
- Town Clerk and Treasurer to become positions appointed by the Select Board rather than elected
- Assistant Town Clerk and Treasurer to become positions appointed by the Select Board rather than appointed by the Town Clerk and Treasurer
- All Town Boards, Commissions and Committees will be subject to open meeting laws
- The Zoning Administrator will be appointed to a 3-year term in accordance with 24 V.S.A. §4448
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 880 4688 1995
Dial by phone:
+1 646 558 8656 US
Copies of the proposed changes to the Hardwick Town Charter may be obtained from the Town Offices at the Hardwick Memorial Building. Copies are also available online at: https://hardwickvt.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Draft-charter-3.pdf
Dated in Hardwick, October 12, 2021. Submitted by the Hardwick Select Board